Tips for the hearing instrument user
The custom earmold couples your hearing instrument to your ear. Its purpose is to :
Custom made for your ear, the earmold should fit so perfectly that, after an initial adjustment period, you won't know you're wearing it.
The well-fitted custom earmold directs sound from your hearing instrument to your ear without feedback (a whistling noise). This allows you to hear, comfortably and unobtrusively, the sounds and voices you want to hear.
Your hearing healthcare professional can modify your custom earmold in ways that :
You can achieve optimal performance and comfort only when the earmold is correctly in place. For the best results, follow this step-by-step procedure :
1. The hearing instrument should be turned off, or the volume set to minimum.
2. Using the hand on the same side as you wear your hearing instrument (right hand for right ear; left hand for left ear), grasp the earmold between the thumb and index finger.
3. Raise your hand to your ear, making sure the canal portion of the earmold is facing your ear. Tilt your hand slightly forward.
4. Place the canal portion of the earmold inside your ear canal. If it is difficult to get into place : Stretch your ear by pulling it gently backwards and upwards with your other hand. You can also apply a very thin coating of earmold lubricant, on the canal portion of the earmold, taking care not to block the opening(s).
|5. Now that the canal portion is
in place, twist the earmold backwards so that it fits into the concha,
and the helix portion is under the fold.
6. Now position the instrument behind the ear. Be careful not to twist the tubing.
7. Check the placement of the earmold by tracing the contour of the ear with your finger. make sure it all fits where it belongs.
8. You are now ready for listening :
9. When you want to remove your hearing instrument :
Note : Practice makes perfect in handling and using earmolds. Be patient. What seems awkward today, will be second nature in short time. The more you wear your hearing instrument(s), the sooner everything will fit into place.
You can use mild soap and water, or there are many commercial preparations on the market; ask your hearing healthcare professional for a recommendation.
Note : Never dry your earmolds or hearing instrument in a microwave oven or with a heated blow dryer.
Make sure the curve of the earmold matches that of the hearing instrument (as shown in the illustration).